Friday, November 13, 2009

Basquash!

I am usually not interested in sports anime, so I surprised myself by watching Basquash! all the way to the end. I guess if you mix in some sci-fi, I'll watch anything!

Basquash was actually better than I expected, despite the oversized product placement by the main sponsor, a well known sports footwear company. Basquash is actually three-on-three basketball that is played using giant mecha called bigfoots. The mecha needs shoes to maintain its footing so you can guess how the sponsor was convinced to climb aboard.

The story kept me interested because it changes from a basic sports tournament story into a "save the world from annihilation" story about half way through. It would be easy to botch such a radical transition but it was handled rather well. The other selling point is the main character, Dan JD, who undergoes a change in personality from angry and reckless to calm and thoughtful. As I mentioned before, the series is surprisingly better than you might expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment