Saturday, October 10, 2009

Done For The Day

Finally done with the baking for the day. Things didn't quite go as planned. Last night I discovered that I had underestimated the amount of sugar I had on hand. I decide to get more in the morning. This morning I remembered that the amounts required by the recipe make too much syrup, so the sugar I had might be enough anyway. I wish I had remembered that last night. Since the syrup has to be chilled, preparing it in the morning delays the whole process by a few hours. That's why I'm winding down the operation so late in the evening.

Although the koeksister recipe is simple on paper, it is actually very time consuming. Since I first attempted it in 2001, I've done it maybe about a dozen times, and each time my appreciation increases for how easy my mother made this look. It is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment