Wednesday, September 30, 2009

PHP Timezones In Lenny

When I previously talked about having PHP timezone problems in Debian Lenny, I thought that I might have to compile a custom version PHP without the patch which created this mess. Thankfully, I found another solution.

When I got a chance to examine the patch, I discovered that it actually loaded the PHP timezone database from the OS database in /usr/shared/zoneinfo. The user chroots on the shared LAMP server are stripped of (usually) unnecessary files such as the ones found in /usr/shared/zoneinfo. I copied those files into the chroot and the PHP timezone database worked again! There was much rejoicing!

I'm glad I found another way to fix this as I was not looking forward to maintaining a custom PHP package until the next Debian release, which would be at least a year away. No thanks, I have better things to do than compile PHP every time there is a security update.

No comments:

Post a Comment