Saturday, March 21, 2009

Games In Python

I have an several ideas for games that I want to write in Python, and until recently, the pygame library seemed like it provided the best foundation to 2D games in Python. I've only played with pygame a little so I'm by no means an expert, but it seemed to work quiet well. My game ideas require a hexagonal grid engine, and today I found PGU, a pygame library which includes a hex tile engine. PGU appears to be quite old and yet I never noticed it until today. The release date's indicate it was orphaned for while, so maybe that is why I missed it before.

As I said, until recently pygame was the only game in town, if you'll pardon the pun. Another library that is becoming very popular, is pyglet, which uses OpenGL to do all the drawing. pygame depends on the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library. SDL is cross platform, but it is not commonly used on Windows and the Mac, which makes life difficult for developers who wish to target those platforms.

Right now, I'm going to play with PGU first. If the hex tile engine provides what I need, then pygame will still be first choice for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment