Friday, February 13, 2009

Do Not Call List

By now most people will have heard that Canada's Do Not Call List is a disaster. I'm glad I didn't bother with it. Everyone that registered, is getting more calls than ever before, because apparently anyone is able to buy the list from the CRTC for a small fee. Needless to say, the list is now in the hands of the wrong people. But even I have noticed an increase in calls even though I am not on the list.

After I cancelled my cable TV subscription about 18 months ago, there was a sharp drop in the number of calls, which indicates that Rogers Cable sells their subscriber list. The sudden increase suggests that now another company is selling a subscriber list with my number on it. The first name that comes to mind is Bell, with the credit card companies a close second.

Thankfully, I have the caller id feature on my line so I simply ignore calls from numbers I don't recognise. It works better than any registry. Now if only I could make the telephone not ring at all for an unrecognised number.

No comments:

Post a Comment